Women’s hockey gets weekend sweep

Branden Anderson – The Aquinian
Julia Sharun makes the save. (Alex Solak/AQ)
Julia Sharun makes the save. (Alex Solak/AQ)

They started Saturday with a game against the 1-9 Mt. Allison Mounties.

The Tommies looked sluggish early but took control quickly after. Lyse Rossignol picked the pocket of the Mount A defenseman and buried one glove side to put the Tommies on the board. The shorthanded goal gave the ladies a boost, but the Mounties kept it close. The score was 1-0 after one with STU up 11-4 in shots.

Good board play led to the first Mount A goal as Jill Greene potted an unassisted marker. The Tommies got back ahead around the eight minute mark after Kelly Matthews banged in her own rebound during a scramble in front.

There were lots of chances on the powerplay as the Mounties self-destructed with penalties. But Mount A goalie Meghan Corley-Byrne stood on her head to keep her team in the game. Shots through two were 25-11 STU.

In the third the Tommies outplayed the Mounties and took a 3-1 lead off the stick of Amy Kelbaugh with five minutes to go. Mount A replied nine seconds later, however, as Ashlyn Somers finished off a break.

It was too little too late though, as STU held on for a 3-2 win. Final shots were 40-19.

In the Sunday afternoon game against the UPEI Panthers, the Tommies started sluggish again. But Kristin Wolfe was solid early on to keep the score at donuts across the board. STU was getting a bit too cute with their break out attempts and dekes and the Panthers controlled the play as a result. Once the Tommies got their feet under them and started using their ferocious forecheck, they began to control the play.

With a minute to go in the first the game’s first penalty was assessed to Lucrece Nussbaum, and less than 30 seconds into the second frame STU went down another player. With 19 seconds remaining on the 2-man advantage, Panthers captain Amber Gaudet redirected a point shot past the glove of Kristin Wolfe to break the deadlock.

Just a few minutes later STU would reply. After trying to fire up her teammates on the bench didn’t work, Jillian Coughlin took the game into her own hands. She found a puck in front and roofed her second opportunity.

STU continued to get into penalty trouble later on, and in desperation to clear the zone Jessica Holt covered the puck momentarily in the crease, leading to a penalty shot. Suzanne Cortilet rang her shot off the post and the game stayed tied through two.

The Bernier-Coughlin-Brewster trio continued to pour it on in the third, getting several scoring chances. But about half way through the period UPEI took advantage of another 5-on-3 on another deflection. Once again the Tommies answered in a hurry. A point shot by Nussbaum was deflected by Kelbaugh past a screened Kristy Dobson.

Regulation was tight until overtime as both teams played conservatively looking forward to overtime. Into extra time the shots were 27-23 STU.

Tommies Dominique Bernier ended the game in style. With the Panthers back on their heels she picked up a loose puck in the slot and sniped a game winner stick side off the post and in.

STU is back at home again Saturday, November 28 at 4:00 against U de M.