STU Tommies take on the UNBSJ Seawolves at home

The men’s and women’s soccer teams took on the University of New Brunswick Saint John Seawolves at home on Oct. 11.

The women started off the night’s games, looking to have a similar outcome of their game the week before, which was a 4-1 win over Crandall University.

The St. Thomas University women had a solid start to the first half. The Seawolves put on the pressure, but good work by the Tommies’ defense by kept scoring opportunities limited and shots out wide.

With 10 minutes left in the first half, the Tommies started a heavy attack on the Seawolves’ end, creating a few good chances for the Tommies to score, maximizing passes and throw balls to Tommies strikers Nikita McCartney and Phoebe van der Meulen.

The first half ended with the scoreboard still reading 0 for both teams.

The Tommies started off the second half strong, forcing the Seawolves into their own end for the first 10 minutes. There were solid chances for van der Meulen and McCartney who both had several shots on net.

The Seawolves pushed back, but the Tommies defense held their ground, forcing the Seawolves back into their own end once again.

With 20 minutes left on the clock, the Tommies scored. McCartney chipped in a goal from a long pass out to the wing from centre mid, Katie MacDermaid.

The Tommies kept up the heat, with long passes from the defense up to strikers to make way for more scoring opportunities.

In the last minute of play McCartney was looking to up the Tommies to two, but the shot went wide of the Seawolves net.

But without it, the Tommies still took home a 1-0 win.

(The women’s defence played a hard game to keep the Seawolves from scoring. Shannon Cornelius/AQ)

The men were also hoping to have a repeat of the prior week’s game, where they had 2-0 win over Crandall University.

The Tommies started off the match with good offensive pressure, resulting in some chances for striker Jack Casey and centre mid Kyle Yearwood right away.

The Seawolves battled back after the 10-minute mark and charged into the Tommies’ end. The Seawolves were the first up on the scoreboard, with a long shot nailing the top corner outside the 18-yard box.

Looking to get themselves on the scoreboard as well, the Tommies forced themselves back into the Seawolves end, producing many unsuccessful chances.

At the end of the first half, the score remained 1-0 for the Seawolves with some big saves from Tommies goalie Makenzie Hill to keep it that way.

The second half was a tough start for the St. Thomas men. The Seawolves gave them little room to breathe, attacking the Tommies right away but the STU defence played strong.

Still in the Tommies’ half, wing back James Hill went down hard after a run in with Seawolves’ Thomas Barbara, but after a few minutes was up and ready to go.

The Tommies had a few good runs in the Seawolves’ end. Striker David Effiong had a chance with a big shot from the wing, but it was an easy save for the Seawolves’ goal keeper.

The Tommies struggled to get out of their end but with help of goal keeper Hill as the defense ensured the Seawolves didn’t round up a second goal.

The match ended at 1-0 for the Seawolves.

Like and follow us:


  • Show Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *

You May Also Like

Varsity Reds crowned kings once again

UNB Varsity Reds capture second CIS Championship in three years By Tony von Richter, ...

The Ross Report, with Jamie Ross

Earlier in the season, Brunswickan managing editor Tony Von Ritcher and I agreed to ...

Nussbaum skating on international stage

STU defender suits up for Swiss national team By Jamie Ross Lucrece Nussbaum is ...

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial

Like and follow us!