Student suffers allergic reaction in meal hall

First-year student Jared Durelle suffered an allergic reaction to peanuts while eating in the school’s cafeteria on Oct. 18.

Durelle has a severe allergy to peanuts which he said makes him careful about what he eats.

“I nearly died. If it was another student, they would’ve been dead,” he said.

“I’ve been doing this for 18 years, that I’ve been living with allergies, and it really could’ve killed somebody.”

Before eating the vegetable dish which caused the reaction, Durelle said he asked the chef if it contained peanuts because it wasn’t labelled. The chef said no.

“I feel it was an oversight and stupid that they didn’t actually label something,” Durelle said.

After eating some of the dish, Durelle realized he was having an allergic reaction and he immediately went to the campus pharmacy where he bought Benadryl. His friend, Garrett Moore, walked him to the hospital.

During the walk, Durelle had trouble breathing, severe hives appeared on his skin and he was vomiting blood.

After eight hours at the hospital, Durelle said he wants nothing more than an apology from the president of the university, Dawn Russell.

Jared Durelle walked to the Fredericton hospital with a friend after realizing he was having an allergic reaction to peanuts. (Submitted)

“I specifically asked for the president to apologize to my mother and that’s all I wanted,” Durelle said.

Russell responded the following day via email, apologizing to Durelle and his mother. The cafeteria also immediately started making changes to minimize the chance of the same situation happening again.

Jeffrey Carleton, associate vice-president communications, spoke on behalf of Aramark, the cafeteria’s main distributor.

“The main thing they’ve done is removed nuts from all of their entrée recipes,” Carleton said.

“They’ve added more signage around their various stations and also posted signs around the residence dining halls stating that they are not nut-free.”

Aramark believes it was cross-contamination issue that occurred outside of St. Thomas which caused Durelle to have an allergic reaction.

“You can never be 100 per cent certain, but that’s what they believe,” Carleton said.

Carleton also said Aramark will begin working closely with student services to identify what students are allergic to prevent similar accidents from happening.

“If students have medical issues, and they’ve indicated as such on their application form, we have to make sure we have a proper flow of information, so people are aware of it,” he said.

Durelle believes it was a mistake that could have been prevented through proper communication.

“[Aramark should] warn people about what allergens are used, make the recipes readily available for the dish that they have and make sure that the staff actually talks to each other.”

  • Show Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *

You May Also Like

Sexual assault centre reaches out to students

By Candice Whitman The Fredericton Sexual Assault Centre launched a new campaign last week ...

Budget debt cap pleases students

By Alyssa Mosher When Kayla Brown heard that the Government of New Brunswick issued ...

Dialogue session to hear all voices

By Kyle Mullin A debate on the Gaza conflict will be held in McCain ...

A ritual to remember: Memorial held for first-year student

By Kyle Mullin Friends, peers and professors gathered outside James Dunn Hall last Monday ...

Controversy surrounds N.B. beer

By Amy MacKenzie It’s not just the taste of New Brunswick’s new beer that ...

George Martin honoured at memorial service

By Stephanie Kelly Past and present members of the St. Thomas community gathered Friday ...